While making your own yogurt at home is super-easy and super-delicious, the BIG BANG Yogurt recipe adds a galactic boost to the regular yogurts by using heavy whipping cream instead of whole milk! This yields one cup of yogurt that is 800 calories.
Learn how to make your BIG BANG Yogurt and how to pimp it up to a delicious ‘1001- calories ‘ serving!
Prep time: 15 min.
Cook time: 9-24 hours
Idea: Deana Massey-Dunlap
MAKE A YOGURT WITHOUT SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
There are many ways to make your yogurt at home. You can use an instant pot, a slow cooker, a yogurt maker or like in the days-without any special equipment following the recipe below.
- big stainless steel pot
- 4-5 glass jars, one small jar
- Cooler and two empty gallons (plastic bottles)
- oven at 110⁰F (43⁰C)
- 1 galloon (4l) milk or heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons Yogurt "Starter" (Yogurt made with live & active cultures only)
1. Fill two big plastic bottles with boiled water and place them into a cooler and close the lid
- Preheat your oven at 110⁰F (43⁰C).
- Prepare and wash 4-5 jars plus small jar as a ‘seed bar’
- Fill a pot with one galloon milk/ heavy whipping cream (4litre) and place it at a high heat.
- Stir constantly while heating.
- Heat the milk/ heavy whipping cream to 185⁰F (85⁰C) for 15-30min (longer makes firmer yogurt)
- Shut off the heat and let it cool to 110⁰F (43⁰C)
- Let a cup of plain yogurt warm to room temperature.
This is the ‘seed’ –yogurt, it must contain live & active cultures. Store yogurt is needed only once, thereafter we use our prior batch as seeds.
Ready to be placed in the incubator: the ‘warm cooler’ or the slightly heated oven
Using heavy whipping cream yields one cup of yogurt that is 800 calories. Since heavy cream is lower in lactose than whole milk you can enjoy it even though having problems with lactose.
ADD TASTE- ADD CALORIES
- Add fruits! Add one banana and you have a cup with now 905 calories.
- Add chocolate protein powder! This adds more calories. The number of calories depends on which brand you use and how much. Add strawberries and chocolate shaving to it when it is served.
- Add peanut butter! Add protein powder and the peanut butter. Mix them together and you have a mousse that that has a Reece’s peanut butter flavor.
- Add granola! Combine with fruits and peanut butter.
- Add your creativity! It will taste delicious, that’ for sure.
As you can see, there are many ways to add calories and flavors to this already low sugar, dense, high calorie yogurt based on what your child or you like and how much sugar you want.